Friday, November 11, 2011

A gallery and garden visit

This weekend my big sister and I are having a weekend away - the main reason we're hitting the road is to take in the Australian Modern Masterpieces exhibition at the Art Gallery of Ballarat. Some of my favourite artists are on show at the exhibition - Grace Cossington Smith, Margaret Preston, Nora Heysen.
Jeffrey Smart's 'Truck and trailer approaching city', 1973.

While we're up that way I also intend to visit the Lambley Garden and Nursery, just north of Ballarat.  I have been longing to visit this garden for two reasons: (1) the stunning dry garden; and (2) the artwork of Criss Canning - her husband owns the nursery/garden.  As the pics below show, the garden is nothing short of stunning...large drifts of plants punctuated with colour:







And the veggie garden is not too shabby either...


And equally as stunning is Criss Canning's flora themed artwork:

I'm hoping to pick up a copy of Chris Canning's book when I visit Lambley Nursery and Garden:


Apparently the weather is going to be quite lovely and Spring-like too, so hopefully we'll have a great time exploring.  Whatever you're up to this weekend, I hope you have a good one.

[Images: 1 - Art Gallery of Ballarat; 2-12 - Lambley Nursery]

1 comment:

Jacky said...

Looking forward to a weekend of fun and culture with my little sister. Hoping they have the book in stock, I would love one too! I've admired her artwork for a long time too.

See you in the morning.

Jacky xox

Blog Widget by LinkWithin