Friday, September 11, 2009

Holiday reading

What's the first thing you think of when preparing for a holiday: What clothes you will pack? What sights you will take in? Not me, first thing I generally think of is: What will I take to read?  I love the thought of guilt-free holiday reading.  When I'm at home I don't think I enjoy reading as much because I know that I really should be reading work-related literature , or doing a range of chores. But on holiday that's not the case...you can laze around reading without a care in the world.

Well it so happens that I'm heading off on holidays in a few weeks and I'm starting to think about my holiday reading matter...

I know that I want to revisit Jane Eyre (particularly this edition with the beautiful cover)...
And the new Stieg Larsson book is released on 1st October (just in time to make my holiday reading list)...
But beyond that, I have no idea what to take with me. I'm a voracious holiday reader so I'll need at least 4-5 books to pack in my carry-on bag. So can you help me out with any suggestions?  What have you read lately that you've really enjoyed?

6 comments:

Jane said...

I think either of Michael Pollan's books (Ominvores dilemma and can't remember the other) about the food production line are amazing. I am very into Douglas Kennedy books as my trashy read with pretensions to something else at the moment. Along those lines either Kate Morton books (Brisbane writer who sets her books in 1920s 30s England) If you haven't read it and like a good rip roaring read what about Shantaram by Gregory Thomas about his time on the run in India (truly amazing story) and very evocative. Also food wise - Bill Burford 'Heat'. Oh I could go on for ever.

Shelley Trbuhovich said...

oh yay lee - a holiday! i've just started jane eyre, which i've never read before. oohhh, other things i've read lately that i could recommend - 'the memory keeper's daughter', 'the kite runner' and 'a thousand spendid (?)suns', can't actually remember the full title - or author. my brain is mush since the arrival of my youngest! finally got around to 'the spare room' helen garner - superb. 'the slap' by christos tsialkos is next in line for me....have a great time. x

Heather said...

I've got a post just for you Lee.

Windlost said...

Have you read "The Gargoyle"? Not exactly light, but not heavy either and a page-turner. For something very light, "The Friday Night Knitting Club" was good, though I am not generally into chick lit.

xo Terri

Angela Furlong said...

Lee I am such an avid reader too that the whole reason holidays excite me so much is because you're allowed to read ALL the time! I've been reading Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts in preparation for my trip to India in a few weeks time and it is without doubt one of the most enlightening and beautiful books I've ever read.... It gets a rap for being heavy going and long but I'm finding it a joy!

That cover on your Jane Eyre copy is absolutely gorgeous.

Happy days and happy reading x

Julie@beingRUBY said...

HI Lee
Nothing like a good book to read and even better on vacation. I bought myself a book to read on my week off i just had and didn't even open the cover.. ooops.. Have a great week. x Julie

Blog Widget by LinkWithin