Thursday, September 3, 2009

Knitting

Last night I attended a knitting group dinner, which was quite novel for me since I don't knit! Well, at least I didn't until last night. But boy these very stylish, artistic women were inspiring - no dowdy baby booties or matinee jackets for them. Instead they were creating the most beautiful scarves, jumpers, bags etc.
I can vividly remember trying to learn to knit in my teens but I was 'all thumbs' and I couldn't even master a simple 'knit one, purl one'. So that was it, I gave up, I resigned myself to never being a knitter. But at the dinner last night, one lovely lady Sue had the patience to persevere with me to teach me the basics of knitting - God bless her cotton socks (maybe knitted socks would be more appropriate in this instance).  Not only did Sue teach me to cast on and knit, but she gave me a lovely ball of wool and loaned me some knitting needles. Now I am totally hooked on knitting. It's like a form of meditation. I found that all my worries wash away when I'm focussing on the knitting.
So watch out, soon I'll be turning this...
...into something like this...

Well, not really, I think it will take me quite a few years before I can manage such a feat, but I am definitely going to have fun trying. First up, I think I'll make a simple linen scarf for Spring.  If it doesn't have too many dropped stitches in it I might even post the results :)

Question: Is there a task that you enjoy so much that the hours can just pass happily by while you're entranced in this very task?  I'd love to hear.

(Images: 1 - Retro Ranch; 2 - Spinning Wheel Studio; 3 - Namolio)

11 comments:

Heather said...

Although I am not a knitter and have never tried this, I read over at www.thelightgarden.blogspot.com about continental knitting which is meant to be really easy and fast.

Unknown said...

I just starting knitting a few months ago and love it!! I have always wanted to do it and I love knitwears, jumpers and scarves being my favourites, so it seemed a good idea to learn. A friend taught me and slowly I am doing it....knitting a scarf!!!

Thank you so much for your comment on my blog, that was very nice of you.

Happy Spring :)

Jacky said...

You did so well Lee and I know your first scarf will be *amazing*. Lovely sitting knitting (and eating....wasnt the food beautiful?) with those wonderfuly women.

Jacky xox

Julie@beingRUBY said...

Hi Lee
Sounds like you had a great time with interesting and generous ppl. Well I keep saying I will attempt to knit something again.. many many almost finished garments... maybe next winter.. or maybe you will inspire me! Have fun x Julie

Dot said...

Hi Lee
Sounds like you and Jacky had a lot of fun last night. I would have loved to have come along! So glad you enjoyed yourself and mastered the basics of knitting. Am not much of a knitter myself but made a scarf recently and loved the mediative feel of knitting as I watched the TV. Jacky tells me you had a lovely day together yesterday.
Have a wonderful weekend!
Dot xx

Tricia said...

I have always wanted to learn to knit! I've been doing a lot of sewing lately so once I feel solid with that maybe I'll finally attempt knitting.

Please stop by tomorrow as I'm highlighting my favorite Aussie bloggers and you're included. Just sharing some blog love.
Happy Friday.

Jane said...

Good on you. Don't forget to check out all the wool at Ak in Hawksburn their stuff is amazing. Knitting is on my list. It is easy to learn but hard to finish as Julie says!

Millie said...

Being the absolute craft klutz that I am, surprise, surprise I can actually knit! And the more difficult the better - lots of complicated Aran cable patterns ring my bells. I'm sure this will be the start of a big love affair Lee. I knitted MOTH a couple of cute little boiled egg 'hats' in Demon's colours & he had to wipe a tear from his eye!
Millie ^_^

Novi On The Go said...

The day goes quickly when my mind is busy, busy creating... painting, crocheting, lately it's been sketching in my sketchbook. I just started a new book yesterday and I didn't think I could finish the last one! Even tasks like cooking and cleaning makes me feel better, I guess it's because I'm doing something rewarding. Simple truth is when my hands are busy my mind is busy.

So glad you had fun knitting! Thank you for stopping by and commenting on my blog :)

Shelley Trbuhovich said...

my beautiful mum has attempted to teach me to knit about four times now....i love it in short bursts and then go off it again. i think stitching is the craft i feel i can pick up and put down again with a measure of success. i would love to knit though....x

Elena Rosenberg Wearable Fiber Art said...

Oh, I hope you enjoy your adventures in knitting. I can't imagine life without it :)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin