- Remove the ugly, old gas heater fireplace
- Remove a redundant door (and plaster over the area)
- Replaster all the walls
- New skirting boards
- New architraves
- Repaint all the walls (Dulux Chalk USA for the ceiling & trims; Hog Bristle [half strength] for the walls)
- Install built-in robes
- Install built-in bookshelves
- Install built-in desk
- Recarpet the room (and our bedroom and living room area too while we're at it)
- Changeover from single bed to double bed - so new bed linen too
- Create a padded bedhead
- A new desk chair and armchair or small sofa for the room
- New light fitting
- Some artwork for the walls
Now, I warn you, these pictures aren't pretty...my son is a bit of a hoarder (hence lots of storage & shelving being built) and everything has been pushed into the center of the room while work goes on around it:
This shot is looking in to the bedroom - the built-in robes are being constructed to the right.
The section of wall to the left is where the old gas heater was (it had been disconnected years ago) - replastering is in progress
This is looking back out to the hallway - the wall to the left had to be completely reconstructed.
All of the above shots were taken a few weeks ago, and things have progressed since then - the first coat of paint has gone on, the built-in bookshelves have been installed etc.
Needless to say, our son is not sleeping in his room at present. We can't wait until it's all finished, but progress is pretty slow at this stage given that my husband can only work on the room on the weekends. This weekend the second coat of paint will go on the walls, and the laminate for the desk will be ready on Monday, or so the cabinetmaker assures us.
Sorry I didn't take any 'before' photos (very thoughtless of me I know), but I will post some 'after' photos when we've completed the room.