Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Bees knees

Okay, I'll admit my shameful secret...I'm a 'collector'. I have a thing for bees, pears, hands, celadon jugs and vases. No significant reason for this other than I like them.

I blame it on the bees really, because that's what started me on the path to collecting. My fondness for bees started quite harmlessly over 20 years ago when my sister gave me a small bee brooch. I don't have many, just a few special ones - like a small bee printing block that I found at the Portabello Markets in London. And now my latest addition to my bee collection is this lovely little dish that a friend gave me... Here are few other bees that I'd like to make mine.

A paperweight from John Derian...

A ceramic platter from Zindel Ceramics...

A beautiful, delicate illustration of a bee (as seen at Burham Design)...

A bumblebee mug from online store Hen and Hammock...

Some ceramic bee tags from Marley and Lockyer...

A set of tumbers with bees engraved on them (from Re-Found Objects)...
Do you collect anything in particular? I'd love to hear. Meanwhile I'll work on harnessing my addiction to 'collecting'.

7 comments:

Julie@beingRUBY said...

HI Lee. I love the bee collection. The 1st little dish is gorgeous!! I 'collect' teapots. Not intentionally that just find me!!

Jacky said...

Glad I could help you along with that bee obsession Lee. Beautiful selection in this post!

Jacky xox

Millie said...

Love your bees collection Lee - I'd love a John Derian piece as well. For years all my girl friends gave me ducks in any form for birthdays. Only issue was I HATED ducks - don't know who started it, but it snowballed & I wasn't courageous enough to say STOP WITH THE DUCKS! They were all quietly donated to the Vinnies about 5 years ago & I'm sure they are now with true Duck lovers who appreciate them.
Millie ^_^

Lee said...

Millie, LOL, I had the same thing happen to me with cats a few years back! I don't know where it sprung from, I just wanted it to stop. Truth be known, I prefer to do my own collecting rather than be given them as gifts. It can get out of hand :)

Oliver's said...

Thank you for the new love of my life...Hen and Hammock! I too adore bees. Love your blog! Paula

sydney85 said...

Hi Lee, my collections are pears, limoge boxes and 12 days of christmas. Quite an assortment but they give me lots of pleasure and friends call whenever they find something I might like since they know my quirks.

Anonymous said...

Bees are delightful to collect, I have a precious brooch which got me started, its very old and I love it. I agree, its best to collect yourself otherwise it can get very tacky! enjoyed your blog!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin