Thursday, February 26, 2009

What makes a house a home?

The lovely Terri at Wind Lost posted a brilliant blogpost about 'the acquisition of things'. In this post she used William Morris's famous quote: "have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful". And quite validly Terri theorises that whilst this is admirable, it is really not possible. But, this got me thinking about those few things that we do love in our abodes, and what is it that makes a house a home.

For me my house is made a home by having my books around me, photos of loved ones, fresh flowers, art on my walls that brings me joy, mementoes of my travels, lighting candles on the dining table, gifts from family and friends, keepsakes from my parents (who sadly passed away a long time ago).


Fresh flowers in my living area

Books in my bookshelf and a small, favourite piece of art (and a cup of my favourite green jasmine tea).

My bedroom drawers - the woven storage box was a gift from my mother over 20 years ago (she passed away in 1991 when I was quite young) and is very special to me. The red perfume bottle at front is Tumulte by Christian Lacroix. It was purchased from a shop just off Place Vendome in Paris - I love both the scent and the design of the bottle. Every time I look at this perfume bottle it brings back fond memories of a wonderful trip.
And these are the candles on my dining table - we don't keep them for special occasions, we like to light them most evenings.


What makes your house a home?

5 comments:

Mrs B said...

I love that William Morris quote Lee and although it may not be totally possible, its always good to remind oneself every now and then. All your objects are so beautiful and I understand how each one has a special meaning to you. It makes me wish I have all my wonderful treasures around me but they are all safely in storage, waiting for their new home.
Mrs B

The House That A-M Built said...

Love your little treasures... and how they remind you of your dear parents on a daily basis. A-M xx

Millie said...

A beautiful, thoughtful post Lee. Yes, often the simplest of objects bring the most warmth & joy our lives.

I have a beautiful silver clothes brush & button hook set on my bedside table. They belonged to my great great grandmother, & each night as a turn the lamp off, I always get an image of her bending down & using the hook to loop the buttons from her shoes into their loops.
Millie ^_^

Windlost said...

Beautiful things Lee. Funny, but I have been thinking about doing a post about things I love in my house. Of course there are lots, but there are lots of compromises too!
I love that little bird print with your books.

xo T.

Lisa said...

I have that exact same woven storage box! My aunt gave it to me when I was a child; she filled it with embroidery threads for me. I never did learn to embroider but I do keep my sewing things in it

Blog Widget by LinkWithin