Wandering around Borders bookshop one evening a while back I happened across the most gorgeous art book titled 'Modern Australian Women: paintings and prints 1925 - 1945'. The book includes some amazing pieces of art that still look thoroughly modern today. I played that lovely game of 'Which painting/print would I choose to hang in my home?'. Here are just a few images (woodcuts, linocuts and oils) by the incredibly talented artists represented in the book...any of which I'd gladly hang in my home...
1. Clarice Beckett, Beach road after rain, c. 1927
2. Dorrit Black, Air travel, c. 1949
3. Ethel Spowers, Wet afternoon, c. 19304. Margaret Preston, Mosman Bridge, c. 1927
5. Thea Proctor, The rose, c. 1928
6. Kathleen O'Connor, In the studio, c. 1928
Images 1, 2, 3 and 4 from National Gallery of Victoria.
Images 5 and 6 from National Gallery of Australia.